Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Outing

The parents' group at school suggested a time and place for people to gather for coffee.  It didn't conflict with Castilian class so I found my way there.

I seldom buy coffee at a shop in the USA (pronounced in class like ooh sah - to rhyme with moose -ah), but I knew I didn't want a teeny-tiny cup
like the scene from Muppets Most Wanted, in which the Sam, the Bald Eagle has an American cup of coffee and the French Interpol agent has a European cup.

It turned out I could order a cafe americano, but that means it comes with milk.  Oh, well.
It also came with free water - so adorable!
As a tour guide once said, coffee in, coffee out.  But what do you do if there are no symbols and not even an entire word?  Good thing I have been working ahead in class!


 In Castilian the bathroom options were hombre and mujer
and if it had been in Catalan it would have been home and dona,

1 comment:

  1. Interestingly Americanos in America do not come with milk, it is basically espresso with hot water. I like milk so I usually get a latte or cappuccino.

    I would have panicked if I had seen those sign. There are universal symbols for a reason!

    ReplyDelete