Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Grocery shopping

Checking out the food in the store is almost endlessly entertaining, but what are the logistics?

The major grocery stores I visit do have bicycle racks and I have not seen anyone at the store with a bike.  Maybe I am there at the wrong time, but I am guessing it is not the trend around here.

On the other hand, so many people of all ages use these kinds of carts.  The variety is amazing with some having many pockets, some of them insulated, and some looking a bit like walkers and are pushed instead of pulled.

Our landlord left one behind that is simple and functional.  I debate whether to lock it up at the stands provided.  It works by
  • putting the chain around the handle
  • putting a coin (0.50€) in the slot
  • turning the key
  • removing the key
  • using the key upon returning
  • retrieving the coin (which I forgot the first time but some kids were happy to tell me)

The grocery carts are separated by putting in a coin (0.50€, 1€, or 2€) and pulling out the chain.  When the chain is pushed into the cart ahead of it after shopping, the coin is returned.

If you don't want a big cart you can take a little one to pull behind you.

Come visit and I will take you shopping so you can see for yourself!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! So different. I'd be tempted to shop with my granny cart without ever using the store's cart but I guess it makes more sense to use the store's cart and then my cart.
    Stores around here do not like it when people use their own shopping bags instead of the store's basket.

    ReplyDelete