Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Another museum

Just down the hill from the botanical garden is the Museu Olímpic i de l'Esport Joan Antoni Samaranch (Olympic and Sports Museum).  Two of us decided to visit after putting the kids on two different buses as they headed on their own way.



I had always thought of the former president of the International Olympic Committee Juan Antonio Samaranch, which is also the way his name is written in his obituary, but the museum lists his name in Catalan, Joan Antoni Samaranch. After a bit of looking, this is the only place I see his name written this way.  He was born and he died in Barcelona, but Catalan was not the language of the land most of the time he lived there. I guess the locals want to claim him (even though he worked for Franco, although D. points out that all old people worked for him, otherwise they wouldn't get to be old people).

The format of the museum was started with an historical focus, but it was also by sport, partially based on what pieces the museum owns. Despite the mildly random feel to it, I enjoyed the variety. I never knew roller hockey was so big in Spain.


"Mia Hamm
(United States), best football player in history"

Suit used by synchronized team in honor of the centennial of Salvador Dali's birth.

World Aquatics Championships 2013 in Barcelona
Orland Duque on the 27-meter platform

Braille was on the medals for the first time for 1992 Paralympics.

One of our favorite displays showed the different Olympic torches.

Sydney 2000

Los Angeles 1984

The collection of mascots made me think of my younger sister.

The pin collection made me think of my dad. I think my younger sister collects these, too.

The enormous stamp collection made me think of my mom and her older sister.


JA Samaranch had a lot of collections, including buckeyes!
Shown is only a portion of what he had.

We are lucky to be here for the 25th anniversary of the Barcelona Olympics. The Barcelona Olympic Foundation has all sorts of activities. They even have an art activity, which makes me think of my older sister!

I am ready to go to Switzerland to see their Olympic museum. 

2 comments:

  1. Switzerland has an Olympic Museum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I wish I were coming to visit you so I could see this in person.

    It must be quite a task to figure out the best way to display each object and then design the ability to do so.

    Are you hoping LA gets the 2024 games?

    ReplyDelete