Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

A few things I learned


from rtve.e
Looking at all the stats, pictures, videos, and news stories about the marathon was educational.  Here are some things I learned.

There were a total of 4554 men and women in my age group. There were 829 women, or 18.6%. 

Indeed though women’s participation globally is up 27% (men’s by 8%), on average women make up only 30% of marathoners. In many southern European nations women make up only around 10%. The UK is the ninth most gender equal nation (34%) and the US is number one (45%).      from The Guardian
Along the course were men and women with these backpacks and flags.
They helped people with cramps, blisters, or other minor issues.
I knew there would be massages after the run and I probably would have
benefited from one, but I generally do not like people rubbing my body.

What I didn't know was that there were also podiatrists on site. I would definitely have
benefited from someone dealing with the blisters (not uncommon in a marathon).
Maybe you don't want to know this.
See the port-a-potty? A bit further behind the runners is another plastic thing.
Do you know what that is? I would not have known if I had not seen a bunch of men standing by it.
I always wondered how runners were connected with their personal refreshments
not something they do for the everyday people). I see from this shot that a volunteer
holds a runner's number and food or drink and the runners know to look for the
person with their number. I would like a volunteer job with less responsibility.

I had watched a video someone had made about last year's marathon and was
surprised when he talked about his pace per mile, but I figured he had just
done the conversion. I was surprised to see a mile sign every five miles.
(This is about where the leader drops her closest competitor, the woman in blue.)
This year is the 25th anniversary of Barcelona hosting the Olympics. The organizers invited the medalists from the marathon to participate in some social and running events and the men's bronze medalist, Stephan Freigang from Germany, ran the marathon and "managed to finish the event in 3:02". I have no idea what managed means in this context. The guy is 49-years-old and that is significantly faster than a Boston qualifying time, but I guess the running governing body was not impressed.

The men's winner, Jonah Kipkemoi Chesum, was in the race as a pacer. I knew there were pacers for some people (trying to 3:30 or 3:45, for example - the slowest pace group was for 4:30), but I had no idea the leaders had pacers. It was Chesum's first race at this distance and he wasn't expected to go the whole way, but he felt good and kept going and no one kept up with him! Most people had no idea who he was because his bib said only, "Pacer." On top of that, he is a Paralympian!
Helen Bekele was the fastest woman ever on the course and is congratulated by
one of her pacers. Even though my Spanish is very basic I thoroughly enjoyed
watching the coverage here (which is where I got many of these pictures).






A nice day of sight-seeing!


1 comment:

  1. Event planning has made me an expert in the various types of portable urinals.

    Spoiler alert: even where there is no line, some people prefer the bushes.

    ReplyDelete