Search This Blog

Friday, October 28, 2016

Books

Lucky for us our landlord is a literature professor who has spent a lot of time in English-speaking countries.  She left behind enough books to keep me busy for a while.  But I do like to be able to browse books, too.

from the bookstore's site
I found a used book store that is part of chain and one book is 3€, two books are 5€, and five books are 10€.  Their English selection was mostly classics and books people travel with, but there were a few that caught my eye.  I stop by now and then just to see if there is anything I desperately need. Nothing yet.

The main library is not too far from our house and is close enough to other places so I can combine errands.  If you see the bike rack in the background it is empty except for my bicycle, which I thought was strange.  When I went yesterday at 6pm it was much more crowded.

The five shelves on the left and the two shelves in the next section make up the English section.

No English newspapers, no English magazines,
but they did have plenty in both Catalan and Castilian. 
Barely any people, but this was in the morning. 

The children's room had some English books and I found a useful illustrated Spanish dictionary.
I had never seen a single person in there until I went yesterday at 6 p.m.

I did not have a library card and wanted to get books.  What to do?  I mentioned my dilemma to someone who said she was too busy to read.  She let me borrow her card and even gave me her online PIN so I could renew books.  Wow!

But then we were eligible to get cards.  How could I go in and get one when they thought I had one?  I thought about going to a different branch but it is a bit far away and does not have great hours (although I am sure I will get there at some point).  I thought if I went in the evening there would be different people working.  And I took A. in hopes that they would not throw me out in front of my kid.

We arrived and the person who I knew remembered me (he speaks English to me each time he sees me) was at the circulation desk.  I went to the information desk.  I don't the exact words, but she asked, "Did he send you to me?"  No, so she sent me to the circulation desk.  There was someone else there, too, so I asked her.  Nope, had to the see the guy who spoke English.  "You want a card for your kid?  Sure."  I said I wanted one, too.  "Don't you have one?"  At least I could honestly say I didn't.
We both got cards!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, can you go online and order books from other branches to be held for you at your library?

    ReplyDelete