Search This Blog

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Palm Sunday

I was not surprised to see jamón for sale at this time of year.

The candy was not surprising, either.


At the grocery store they also sold palm fronds, which were new to me.



Candy is sold to add to the fronds, like you would find in an Easter basket.


Some palm fronds were sold with candy already attached. These were 40 euros.


They are sold at the florist, outside the train station,


and along the pedestrian street.
Today I joined the crowds heading toward the monastery.

It was hard to resist taking pictures of the variety of fronds and attachments.
The elaborately woven fronds are intended for girls to carry.

Boys carry the straight fronds and adults seemed to have laurel leaves.

People gathered to hear hymns and a blessing from the priest. I have no idea if most people also go to mass or something similar, but I got the impression people were going to have a family meal after this.
I am glad they had good weather for the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment