Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Retraction

I take back everything I said about the mail system.  Maybe not everything since I still don't understand the system, but I take back a lot of my unhappiness.

In the last couple weeks three large envelopes from my mom arrived here.  By here I mean at the apartment building, not with a note saying I had to go to the post office to get it. Inside were treasures - crossword puzzles cut from the NY Times, newspaper clippings from my dad, magazines, articles about the World Series.
All fifty postcards arrived from my sister (#25 was the last one, more than a month after it was postmarked in the U.S.) and two thick letters arrived this week.
The most amazing thing was when the door buzzer rang, which it never does unless A. has not taken his keys or my language partner is visiting.  Who could it be?  Someone who was lost?  No, it was the mail carrier!  I let him in and was unsure about what to do next, but he came up the elevator with a large box.  He brought it right to our apartment and did not ask for my passport, did not ask for money, did not ask for anything related to customs, and just asked if I were American. Wow!
Inside were the most amazing treasures.  A dear friend had gathered cards and goodies from other friends and had sent them along with the biggest gift, which is now hanging in the front hall. Seeing our home made me a bit homesick, but I love seeing it everyday. Thank you, friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment