Search This Blog

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Where is Sant Cugat?

People are excited when we say we'll be near Barcelona, but it will be a lot like living in a suburb of Los Angeles.
By train it is about one hour away and by bicycle it is about ninety minutes.  Your results may vary.

People often ask about my level of Spanish proficiency.  While I think my Danish is better, I could survive in Spanish.  Another question to ask is about my level of Catalan proficiency, because by law that is the language of the Catalonian region.  All government dealings take place in Catalan, including the instruction in public schools.

I have used a couple of panagrams as examples of the language. First is English, then Spanish, then Catalan.  Thank goodness for Google Translate.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
El rápido zorro marrón saltó sobre el perro perezoso.
El ràpid guineu marró va saltar sobre el gos mandrós. 
Pack my bags with five dozen liquor jugs.
Las maletas con cinco jarras docena de bebidas alcohólicas.
Les maletes amb cinc gerres dotzena de begudes alcohòliques.
Yes, there are similarities, but I think we will still have our challenges.  I am looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. You are so brave! I'm intimidated and envious at the same time. Thanks for letting me live vicariously with this blog.

    ReplyDelete