Search This Blog

Monday, May 29, 2017

Not the usual

I don't post on facebook often and usually it is nothing much, a few random thoughts that aren't enough for a blog post. I broke that rule recently so I will post them here, too, for the few wise people who have resisted the siren call.


David and I took a cycling vacation, heading from the Pyrenees to the coast.
I have a lot of pictures, but the first batch is the tandem in scenic spots. I didn't plan this batch, but it seemed like a good place to start.
Lunch at Sant Joan de les Abadesses on the first day

Hotel in Girona the second day.

Quart, one of many old train stations on the trail.

Very scenic little library in Platja d'Aro.

Across from the beautiful fishing village of Cala S'Alguer.

La Fosca

Heading to Tossa de Mar.

Tossa de Mar with the old castle in the background.
I used Danish to ask someone to take the picture!

At the hotel in S'Agaro.
The other picture I posted that generated a lot of comments was just as exciting! I walked back to the room after breakfast and felt something in my hair. I shook it out and saw this!
My first thought was one of amazement since I have never seen
a scorpion before, but my second thought was to get a picture!

It crawled into the pillowcase so we took it outside and shook it
out and tried to get a couple more pictures before it ran off.
My older sister sent some information about dangerous animals in Spain and it said this:
The commonest scorpion in Spain is the Mediterranean scorpion (Buthus occitanus, escorpión amarillo or just alacrán) and though its North African cousin is more dangerous, it will still give you an extremely nasty sting. You might want to think about wearing boots and thick socks if you plan to hike in dry rocky areas (most of wild Spain) as they are by no means rare. The female will make a meal out of the male if food is short on the ground. The European black scorpion is also present in Spain, preferring more northerly and wetter areas. It's sting is short-lived. Scorpions have a bent for resting in your shoes, so be careful.

Now you know everything that was on facebook and I will try not to scoop my own blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment