Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Unusual post

I don't usually write about US politics, but the last time we had a new president I didn't even have a blog.

The inauguration was on in the evening and was on regular television. The way they do things here is not to put subtitles in the language of the station (some stations are in Spanish and some are in Catalan) and allow the original language to be heard, but to have someone speaking Spanish over the original speaker.  I wonder if they think not enough people speak English and not enough people would read the subtitles.

It was too annoying to understand so little so we thought about listening to the live stream and watching the television on mute, but they were out so out of sync that it was funny.


We finally just watched the computer, but I wish it would have had little labels for people whose names I know but faces I don't.  Dinner was ready just after people were headed inside so we didn't see any of the post-inauguration festivities (except for one bit of all the fancy tables - I was glad it was not my job to figure out the seating assignments!).

Today there were women's marches around the globe.
This is the logo the Barcelona group created.

I did not get to the march in time, but took this picture from their website.

This one, too.
I liked the sign in center, which reminds me of
a Monty Python movie (you may want to watch only the first thirty seconds).

The speeches were in two languages and one was English!
I had knit a hat but did not think I would ever wear again
and was so happy to find someone who really wanted it.
I left feeling that people would and could work together to support each other, not necessarily against one person, but to in order to help those who need it most.

And then there was this new graffiti on the way home from the train station.

At home I saw a bit of news about people in DC and people on their way to LA.

I listened to speeches as I made dinner.  I found some messages uncomfortable, but I did my best to listen with an open mind and to remember that we don't all have to agree to move forward.
I wish I could read today's and tomorrow's newspaper in print.

No comments:

Post a Comment