Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Adapting

A year ago I was writing about adapting to the local culture, but now it is time to readjust to life in Claremont.

Some parts are easier than others.
  • It was great to out for dinner and have as much ice water as we want included in the price of dinner.
  • I can turn a knob on the stove and flame appears, no match necessary.
  • I don't have to look at my watch before going to a store. Most likely if I am awake, the store is open.
  • I can enjoy fresh air while hanging laundry since my neighbors don't smoke.
  • I don't have to plan what I am going to say before I go to the store/library/other.
  • I can chat with the friendly people working at the grocery store.
  • Each day a newspaper in English is delivered to the house.
  • Having a car and knowing how to get places.

On the other hand I miss
  • the immersion, the differences, the newness of everything. I suppose that would have worn off.
  • the break from fund raising
  • inexpensive and effective public transportation
  • the solitude of my running routes
  • digestive biscuits
  • festivals!

It is good to unpack and get rid of things we should have not saved in the first place and savor some of the things we did save. It is good to go to the library and run into friends. It is good to cycle to the pool and swim with friends.

I am grateful for the chance to learn to love where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment